Today we “plowed” our 100 x 100 foot fenced off garden area. That’s almost a quarter acre. It was a lot of work with a little rented rototiller!!! But now it’s looking good and we can think about planting our seedlings soon. We can also think about getting a nice tractor to do this plowing next year!!
This is me, Kathy, and my husband Steve in the picture. Steve did all the tilling! I tried, but… I couldn’t.
Of course this area is just filled with deer. SO, our first work day was to set up an electric fence.
We used a 3-dimensional method, where three electric tapes are strung on two different fence spaced 3 feet apart. The outermost fence is a short one with tape at 30 inches high, the inner fence has tape at 5 ft and about 8 inches. This fence works well because deer have poor depth perception and the multiple bands of tape at different heights and depths confuses them. Along with the electric shock, this keeps them out of the field.
We have about a 10 minute walk along a conservation trail and through another field. A good deal of our fence project was just transporting materials. Eighty metal fence posts are heavy!
We fenced off a 100 by 100 ft square pretty much in the middle of the large field. Our plan is to use this area to grow crops, moving it’s location year-year and will keep the rest of the field under cover crops.
Aurelia’s Garden’s new field is a beautiful 1.5 acre space in Wayland! It was previously farmed for the past 13 years and is currently covered with a nice cover crop of rye grass. It is surrounded by tall oak and maple forests. What a space! We are very thankful to the owner of the land who is so generously letting us farm it as a donation mini-farm. We are looking forward to breaking soon – once we get our electric deer fence up and running.